Okay, so who really DOESN'T want to be June Cleaver? I think every woman does on some level. Even those who don't "believe" that they should stay home and cater to their husbands and family have to covet her life and example on some level. I mean, the woman always looked amazing, she had a dashing husband and sons who adored her, and she was so good at what she did. What's not to want? I dont know, maybe I'm just delusional and think that, just because I would like to be June, that every other woman does, too. Maybe not, but I still think it would be a good aspiration.
I've gotten off the point, I think.
So, I have these adorable aprons in my cedar chest, which is filled with clothes, quilts, jewelry, and other memorabilia that belonged to my grandmothers, great, and great-great grandmothers. They were all made by the same person, I can tell by the stitching and similar patterns, but they are each a little different style. Each of them is starched and well taken care of, and I would not dream of actually wearing them, for fear of deterioration. It's not like I can replace them! But, they are so cute, I decided I would try to copy the pattern and make some like them. I started several months ago by buying the fabric, and, well, that's as far as I got. So, yesterday, realizing that I would never get to it if I kept trying to get 'everything else' done first, I dragged out the sewing entourage. I managed to make a pattern and in two hours had a retro apron fit for June Cleaver. I used the least attractive fabric I bought, just in case the first run flopped, but it still turned out really cute. I can't wait to make a few more, now that I have the basic procedure down.
I know, it may sound silly to you that I would joy in making aprons, of all things, and maybe even pathetic that I put June on such a pedestal, but I'm glad that it doesn't take much. One thing I have certainly learned about myself is that I am excited by anything new, no matter how simple, as long as it challenges my creativity. Although I'm mentally competent, I really don't like to expose myself to mental stress by actually thinking too much (I'm preserving brain cells), but I like to challenge my abilities in sewing, woodwork, crafts, FOOD, etc. I love to learn new things, but once I feel that I've either mastered it, or resign myself to the fact that I never will, it loses its luster. I'm sure there are plenty of people like that. It just helps to know that going in, so you don't, oh, spend several thousand dollars on beauty school, or anthing you don't REALLY want to continue! I think that cake decorating has been my longest-lasting hobby, and I still enjoy doing it, just not in volume. I have three cakes this Summer that should satiate my appetite for decorating for a few more months. I start to really miss it when I see pictures of cool cakes, or even just pass the bakery at HEB, but after doing a couple, I'm good for a while!
I'm off to cut out my next apron and watch a movie with my honey. I love weekends.
No comments:
Post a Comment