We are headed for the lake again! I guess we missed out on our water time so much last Summer, we're trying to make it up. Last year, of course, it rained for months. Now, we can't seem to get a drop! Our grass and trees are all dry and brown, (which makes July 4th a bit of a scare) but I drove up to my friend's house in North Austin, about 60 miles from us, and they were nice and green. They've had like 17 inches of rain this year, and those are the same storms that have JUST missed us, floating right to the North. Funny how it all works out. The river and lake are still nice, though, so we are enjoying them. I tried my best to find a camping spot at a state park this weekend, but they were all booked! Craig thinks that the gas prices have made camping close to home a lot more appealing this year. At $100 a tank in my suburban, we can understand that. We are VERY thankful that Craig has a company vehicle, and doesn't pay for his gas, or I would be homebound for sure!
I really have Summer fever right now. We ARE having school all Summer, except for a few short breaks when we travel, but it's getting harder to stay in the house! Plus, it seems like I have several projects, that, while small and relatively uncomplicated, are piling up on me. Nothing gets done when you're at the lake, you know...
We lost 4 more of our small flock of chickens last Sunday. Something is getting them, and it got the rooster this time. That brings us down to 4 hens, and none of them are laying, so I guess we're done for now. Our little farm has peaked and hit bottom again. No goats (except on the table), and no chickens. Our two cats are still holding down the fort, and of course, Neco and the ferrets are well-pampered. Well, I must admit that the ferrets have lost their favor since Neco go here, so they don't get as much attention, but they are still here and loved!
Craig, Jake, and I are currently reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as our "leisure" reading. We only get to read about a chapter a night, so it's taking a while, but we are enjoying it. I say that with a bit of a reservation, though. I enjoy the reading time, but the story is so heart-wrenching, I can hardly stand it. It's like watching the Phantom of the Opera - the harsh and undeserved cruelty that changes a benevolent person into a monster... so painful!
For some reason, with age, I guess, I am softening. Some experience hardening of the arteries... I am experiencing softening of the heart. I don't watch the news: it just depresses me and makes me cry. I can hardly listen to a country station without shedding tears, and I ALWAYS cry when the national anthem is played at tball games or parades, though I try really hard to hide it. When I see the flag, it always reminds me of the blessings we have, just being able to watch our kids play ball, or whatever other "fun" thing we are doing. Even though I realize our country is on a downhill slide in so many directions, I'm still thankful that we are able to enjoy those simple things. And, I figure, even if Barack OSAMA becomes our next president, we can still joy in those things... for a while, anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment