Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Catching my breath

This summer is SO busy, it's crazy. I mean, we usually tend to MAKE our summers busy with spur of the moment activities, but this year is all booked up! I will be at home some on Friday without the boys, so I'm hoping to get a few things done then and take a little breather!

Tomorrow is the used book swap at the homeschool campus in San Antonio. I signed up for a table and paid, only to realize that I have nothing to sell. I already got rid of it! So, now I'm just going to browse. I still don't have a definite curriculum plan for next year, but I'm going to start looking. This is the first year, though, that I actually don't feel like I have to find something new. I have learned to use the strengths in several curriculums to suit our tastes and needs, and I'm pretty happy with what we're doing. Our yearly notebooks are full, and that makes me really happy. I'm usually disappointed at the end of the year because we didn't get enough accomplished, and we don't like our books. This year, I feel we've made great progress, and actually had fun. Next year, I'll have more work, but I think it will be fun, too. I just have to decide what we'll be adding, like Science, and what I need to put more into, like writing. Writing is usually the thing that gets neglected, unfortunately, but I'm going to try to focus on it more next year.

Jake had his first piano lesson today and he really liked it. The teacher is younger than I am, but she seems to handle the kids well. I'm excited, and so is he.

Here's a quick dialogue from a few weeks ago. We were talking about Jesus' death in the car.

Levi: When DID Jesus die?
Me: He died about 2000 years ago.
Levi: Oh, when you were a little girl?
Me: No, it was more than HUNDREDS of years ago.
Levi: Were you 18 when he died?
Me... giving up and making a note to myself to study the timeline more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment