Thursday, June 19, 2008

Looking Back

I went back and looked at the beginning of my e-journal this morning, and decided to post the first two entries again. I love reading the old ones. The funny thing is... not much has changed! Here's a good laugh for today.


First Kill
Saturday, Oct 21, 2006

Well, it finally happened. Jake made his first kill today. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a legal kill, but we’re going to overlook that.
Levi came in saying that Jake shot a bird, so I went out and found him with his bb gun, standing over a dead dove. I couldn’t believe he hit it!! He was pretty proud. When I asked him if his Daddy hadn’t told him not to shoot the doves, he acted like he didn’t remember that, and said, “It wasn’t on the ground!” Like that mattered. So he put on a rubber glove to pick it up for a picture and the head-pulling. I told him he was NOT going to wear a glove to take care of that bird, so he took it off, posed for the picture, and pulled the head. Daddy showed him how to remove the breast, so he did his best while the two younger boys eeewed and Levi said he’d NEVER touch a bloody bird. It was pretty fun. Jake did have to get some discipline for poaching and disobeying, but he still got to eat his bird for dinner.




Slippery Deer
Thursday, Oct 19, 2006

Day 5 of Craig's vacation and this is what our evening looked like:

I spent about 3 hours bottling coconut oil for a co-op order, slipping and sliding in it all over the floor.

The boys watched Over the Hedge with friends Evan and Marshall while their mom helped me.

Craig went bowhunting with Rod and spent a couple hours tracking a deer before bringing it home for the boys with the SKIN ON so they could skin it together - Jake's request.

Pizza arrived at the house at 10 pm, we all ate, and the boys all went out back to skin the deer, each in their own pair of latex gloves.

Craig removed the horns for them, and brought the brain in, which we placed on a small plate and saved for breakfast. They were all excited, until Jake dropped it, landing the brain in the broken stoneware. Maybe next time....

The real reason for this entry: Jake's comments that had us rofl.

An airplane flies over Jake and Bub. Says Jake, "It's an airplane." Bub replies, "Maybe it's a spaceship." Jake, in his know-it-all attitude, says, "Spaceships don't come from San Antonio. They come from Houston."

Round 2, sitting at the table waiting for our food. Jake says, "Instead of my nickname being Jake, I want to be called Horn. Or Ant." We tried to keep a straight face, because his was like stone. When asked why those, he said, "Horn is like deer horns, and Ant is short for antler." We had to laugh, so he got embarrassed, and said, "Okay! Just call me G!" I was hunched over laughing in the back room when I heard him yelling over his Dad's and Bub's laughter, "Okay, Okay. Call me H.O."

That was too much! Craig said, "Hey, Ho!" Then Jake, "Dad, it's not ho, it's hah, but I want you to call me H.O." We just couldn't help it. We were crying, laughing, and I was ON the floor. Craig kept calling him Ho, but he decided to stick with Jake.

Okay, out to watch the boys and the deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment