Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pain and Procrastination

Motivation, where are you? I decided to blog FIRST this morning, because if I don’t do it now, it won’t happen! Today doesn’t look like a very promising day, but I am hoping I can take what’s left of it and make it productive. I say that, just as the day is starting, because it already has a few strikes against it. For one, we were up a lot last night with the Lukester, so I slept until 9. The kitchen is full of unpacked bags from the stores I visited yesterday, spending money I didn’t need to spend. The school area is covered in sewing ‘stuff’ because I’m in the middle of a couple sewing projects that need to be finished today, and none of the kids have had any laundry done this week, which means today is the day to wash clothes. This week, I will have spent three of the five weekdays in town, so the two that I’m home are kind of crazy. That, in turn, makes me crazy, and irritable, and stressed! But, I’m going to try to eliminate all but the necessary tasks today, and get some things done. Oh, and smile while I’m doing it. Yes, I would appreciate your prayers.

The Lukester, as previously mentioned, was up a good part of the night with pain from a really nasty ear infection. Of course, most know that I am the ‘weirdo’ who makes chicken foot soup, uses all kinds of natural remedies, makes poultices and salves from my freezer full of herbs, and won’t hesitate to cover an ill body from head to toe in garlic and essential oils. I even have a documented instance where I had to have the doctor remove a piece of garlic that got ‘lost’ in an infected ear. (Talk about embarrassing!) So, it’s easy to guess that we do not normally use oral antibiotics. Usually, we go to the doctor, have him diagnose the infection and call in the prescription, take the meds home, then do all of our natural doctoring for the next few days. If the infection persists, we will use the antibiotics, but only if everything else has failed to bring relief. Well, as soon as he started complaining of pain, I started digging in the home medicine chest, pulling out the infection fighters. By the end of twenty-four hours, however, I was giving him amoxicillin. We are going on the third full day of pain, swelling, pus, and fever, and he is NOT a happy camper. I think it’s the nastiest ear infection I’ve ever seen in one of my boys, so we are using our own stuff PLUS the amoxicillin. Poor guy just feels so bad, and both he and his parents are sleep-deprived after three nights of waking up several times. Honey has it worse than I do, since he still has to get up for work, and I’ve stayed in bed in the morning. I’m hoping that by this afternoon, he will show some improvement, as it seems it’s always the weekend when you really need to see the doctor.

I hit a good sale on apples yesterday, so I’m looking forward to a caramel apple pie for dessert tomorrow night. That’s a pretty good way to end my week of dieting. I must say, keeping ME on the diet has been immensely easier than keeping me AND the kids on it for a week. They aren’t eating sugar, which is plenty for them to complain about, but they can eat everything else. I’m the only one eating chicken for breakfast, so that makes it much easier to pull off. I can still make them sandwiches, while I’m eating leftover meat and veggies. Tuesday night for dinner, I made a yummy beef, lentil, and potato stew from a recipe I found on Rachael Ray’s website. Since we were in town all day yesterday, I packed it up and took it with us, and had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It’s a good thing it was tasty, because that’s a challenge, no matter what the food. Today, I think I’ll only have that for one meal. Ooh, and I’d better start thinking about what’s for dinner! Plan ahead, Christy, plan ahead.

We are still waiting for baby chicks… any day now. Maybe it will be Saturday, while we’re home for a while. How exciting, to watch a baby peck out of its egg! How exciting, to be home for a while! Well, the morning, anyway. How did life get so busy?

No comments:

Post a Comment