Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rest, Cuts, and Knives, all unrelated

School will be starting on Tuesday, and I can’t seem to find any stinking time to plan! I need one whole uninterrupted day to pore over the books and the schedule to get it done! Looks like it will be Saturday, of all days. Maybe Honey will give me a break and let me work on that while he’s here, even though he really dislikes for me to work on the weekend. We’ll have Monday to play, though, so maybe I can use Saturday to finish up. HOPEFULLY, I’ll get started today! At the moment, I’m tying up loose ends (seems like an ongoing task!) running laundry, and backing up pictures and documents from the computer. I realized it had been over a year since I backed up photos, so I started getting nervous and backing up! Tedious job, but necessary! The problem is that I don’t have a dvd burner, and I take a lot of pictures, so I can only save one to two months at a time on a disk. So, I’ll likely have a lot of disks when I’m done!

This week was supposed to be a laid back one, giving me time to rest and plan before starting school, but it hasn’t really turned out that way. We took the girls to their mom on Friday as we passed through Dallas on the way to Oklahoma. They were happy to see her, and I’m sure they were glad to get back to their house, where they weren’t harassed by mean old boys. It has been more quiet with only THREE kids at home now, but I do miss them. That two weeks does make me thankful I only have three, though!

We spent Friday and Saturday nights in Oklahoma, and Saturday we had a birthday get-together for Craig’s Pawpaw’s 90th birthday. We don’t get up there very much, so it was nice to see that WHOLE side of the family at once. 90 years is a long time to be here, and it deserves to be celebrated!

Monday, which was supposed to be my first real REST day after all the traveling, almost turned out that way. Well, I spent the morning unpacking, doing laundry, and cleaning up, and the afternoon taking care of those “loose ends” and paying bills. That doesn’t really qualify as rest, but at least I didn’t have to leave home. I was looking forward to our yummy “meatless Monday” dinner, and not even getting out of my pajamas all day, but Levi changed our plans. Just after 5, when I was about to start dinner, he crouched down to hide behind the desk and hit his right ear on the edge of it. He cut it open and it nearly went through the cartilage, so we had a big mess. Of course, it was about 10 minutes AFTER the clinic closed in town, and Craig was still at work, so we waited for him to get home to decide if we wanted to go in for stitches. Because of where it was, at the top of the ear, and under that top curl of cartilage, we didn’t know if they would even DO stitches there. After talking to the doctor, and several family members, we decided it would be best to have it checked, so I drove him into San Antonio to the ER. Thankfully, it was empty, so we got in quickly and weren’t too late getting home. They didn’t stitch it, because of the sparse blood flow in that area, so they just glued it. That’s all fine, until he took his shirt off to get in bed and tore it open. All I could do at that point was leave it, though, so now he has a giant scabby ear. It’s pretty gross. Hopefully, it will look normal when it heals.

So, Monday wasn’t as relaxing as I had intended, nor was Tuesday, when we had to go in to town for more glue and to fill the antibiotic they prescribed. (We’re just keeping it as a back-up!) Today has been better, but I still can’t seem to get to those books…

Luke told me this morning that he didn’t get much sleep last night because he and Levi were working on a song for the concert. He asked me last night if they could do a concert today (which would consist of their playing the guitar, keyboard, and singing), so they had to prepare. Unfortunately, they were supposed to be in bed! He told me they used the nightlight in order to write it, and showed it to me. It’s quite interesting, so I thought I’d share it. Apparently, they don’t have music to go with it, so he asked me to sing it. Hah! I told him he would have to do that, since he wrote it.

Did I hear you’re going far away again?
Did I hear you’re going far away again?
In the afternoon
And comin’ back in ten years
And when you came back you kissed me
And sat down on the couch and watched tv with me
And ate cheese puffs
And crackers with cheese

They sang it onto the recorder, too, each alone, but I don’t have time to look for the cord that connects it to the computer, so… that will have to wait until another day!

Luke has also been very concerned today about getting a knife. He has been asking for years, it seems, and we finally told him he could get his first knife, since he has some money saved. We looked at several of the smaller, safer knives online, and he thought they were all too expensive! That saved us! Levi found his “My First Victorinox” Swiss Army Knife that was his first, and gave that one to him. It has one rounded blade and a bottle opener, so maybe he won’t do too much damage with that one. Maybe we’ll get him a new one as a gift sometime. That’s a big step – all my babies are old enough for pocket knives! All those milestones… or goals, I should say… get them all out of diapers, get them all wiping their own bottoms, teach them to read… get them all pocketknives! Hmmm… what’s next?

No comments:

Post a Comment