Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Morning surprise and a change of plans

It’s been a beautiful morning. I woke up, after mine and Craig’s alarms played tag for an hour, to a heavy rain that lasted about 25 minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more beautiful rain! You could just almost hear the trees and grass sighing with relief and satisfaction, and I’m pretty sure I could feel it, even from inside the house. They are forecasting more rain all week, so we’ll keep praying that we get a lot!

Today would have been our second day of school, but it looks like we’ll be postponing until next week, as I’m not about to wake everyone up early, and we only have two functional days left in our week. This was already a short week because of Labor Day, and Thursday is our piano and in-town day, so I’d rather start fresh again on Monday, and have a full week ahead of us. Yesterday, which would have been the first day, for which we were all ready, was a total bust. Jake has been having some asthma problems, and he looked so bad yesterday morning, that I took him in to the doctor. We do the best we can to control it naturally, but we don’t play around, either. When he starts getting lethargic, and his eyes are glassy and red like he’s been swimming for hours, we know it’s time for some intervention! He’ll be on breathing treatments and steroids for a while, but only until we get him under control, and then we’ll go back to our natural preventatives. They work well for the majority of the year, but when we get hit with a heavy seasonal wave, like we all have this week, it can overwhelm him. Levi and Luke both have stuffy noses, and Luke ran some fever yesterday, while I’ve been carrying a headache around for the past two days. Fall is a hard month for us, and I suppose whatever system is bringing the rain also brought a nice gust of allergies with it. Now that I think of it, winter and spring are pretty rough around here, too. The poor kids got my allergies. I would rather they had gotten a lot of things from me than that! I would even have given them my NOSE over the allergies! They do have it a little better than I did, though. For one, they don’t have a house filled with cigarette smoke, and they also have parents who try to protect their little bodies from tainted food and too much medication. (Believe me, I remind them often of how blessed they are for those things, like when we’re having salad and water instead of microwaved dinner and soda! It’s not always as obvious to them as it is to us.) Hopefully, they’ll grow out of some of their problems, and not hang on to them like I did. I’m sneezing and sniffling as I type!

Since we won’t be doing school, as planned, I am going to try to knock out one of the house projects today and Friday. The bathrooms are first on my list, which need to be caulked (Ick!) and the cabinets painted, so I’m going to get on that right after I file all the school papers from last year. There’s no reason to waste two good days, when there is always plenty of work to be done! We are supposed to be attending the Vulcan Fun Shoot on Saturday, and while I would like to see it get rained out, so I don’t have to get up at 6 and follow a pack of men with guns and little boys swarming around them along a skeet track for 3 hours, I really hope it doesn’t. Vulcan raises thousands of dollars for the Cancer Therapy and Research Center at this event every year, and I’d hate for that to be lost. So, Lord willing, we’ll be up very early for a morning of ‘fun’, then we’ll drop the boys off with Mawmaw so we can have our anniversary date night that we missed. There’s where the fun comes in… quiet dinner and a movie – no planning, painting, cooking, cleaning, scolding, yada, yada, yada. Just me and the honey being single again. We call people who are married without kids ‘single.’ People who are married WITH kids are certainly blessed, but being ‘single’ has its advantages, too. Like being able to have a quiet dinner and a movie… that doesn’t have animation, dogs as the main character, teenage super-heroes, or tacky body humor. Well, okay, I’ll admit that tacky body humor can also find its way into adult comedies, but flatulence is common and VERY highly rated in kids’ movies, for boys anyway.

Yesterday, Levi was the only one really disappointed that we canceled school. He gets to start Spelling this year, and he was ready. We laid down for a nap in the afternoon, and he (who didn’t sleep at all) and I were up in an hour and a half. During the remaining TWO hours that Jake and Luke slept, we did his spelling placement test, and he loved it. I should have filmed him, actually enjoying school. He’s a complainer, and to see him excited about spelling was pretty great. I might have to let him do a spelling lesson today, too, as I don’t want to kill the vibe before Monday!

Luke asked a funny question the other day. We were getting them ready for bed, and he called me and said, very respectfully and seriously, “Mom, would it be okay if I just whistled for you? Can I just point and whistle when I need you to do something?” He was pointing at his bed, which needed a sheet on it, and he was totally serious. He thought it would be easier than having to call me and explain what he wanted, so I can’t blame him for thinking of efficiency. I smiled at him and explained that, no, it would NOT be okay for him to whistle for me, and that would be very disrespectful. Craig walked in and I told him what Luke asked, and he said something to the effect of, “No, son. That doesn’t even work for me.” It’s amazing how little boys can start showing signs of becoming MEN at only six years old! Sometimes younger, but this was definitely a full-blown man-thought he had. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment