Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Anyone for dinner?
So, this is a good one. I finally got around to those bathroom cabinets, and, being the Susie Homemaker that I am, I put dinner on before I started. My pot of beans was simmering, and had plenty of water, and another pot had the soup bones in it, simmering also, that I would later add to the beans. I was just starting the second coat of paint when I smelled the burning, and I knew immediately what it was. See, I’ve burned a pot of beans before, and the smell permeates everything in the house. Apparently, there is a point in a cooking bean’s life at which they absorb all the water in the pot VERY RAPIDLY, and adhere to the bottom of the pot before you can save them, even if you JUST checked the water! I guess I just need to learn to put MUCH more water than I think they will need. Anyway, I hurriedly got the whole smoking pan out of the kitchen and onto the back porch so as not to permanently glue them to the pot, and to save us from smoke inhalation. Well, it’s Wednesday, so there goes our easy dinner before services… But, alas! The soup bones will save the day! Those bones have a lot of meat on them, so I can make some gravy with it, put it on toast, and voila! S.O.S. (That’s why my mother called it when she used leftover roast on toast, but she used a much tackier version of ‘stuff on shingles’. We just call it ROT, for roast on toast.) I checked those to make sure THEY had enough water, turned the heat down, and went back to work. Just as I was finishing the second coat, and leaving the bathroom, I smelled something burning… again. I thought, at first, that it was just the leftover smell from the beans, but it smelled a little more appetizing than that. Of course, it was the meat. So, I carted THAT smoking pot out to the patio and set it beside the beans to cool. The second pot fared worse than the first, as I will probably be soaking and scraping it for days. NOW, our dinner really IS a goner! I guess it’s Sonic tonight! On the bright side, though, I FINALLY got those bathroom cabinets painted! Woo-hoo!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment