Friday, January 28, 2011

Homeschool Sweatshop

Today was a productive day. Apparently, when you get up at 7 am instead of 9:30 am, which has been my waking time this week, you have a lot more time to get things done, and feel better about your day. (Don’t you judge me! I was sick this week!) Anyhoo… in addition to regular school, our science experiment, and various other tasks I was able to tick off the list (Woo-hoo!), Jake and I worked on some herbal goodies.



See, we have FOUR baby showers in the next few months (in addition to two going-away parties, a wedding shower, and a couple birthday parties), and I’m the one who always gives the weird gifts – herbal concoctions.

We didn’t make any of our signature Baby Butter today (I’m in the process of ordering more ingredients), but we worked on some Restful Sleep tincture. The recipe, btw, is in ‘the cookbook’, but unless you keep a huge supply of herbs in your deep freeze like me, you probably don’t have the ingredients on hand… which is why I make it and give it to new parents. I think every parent should have something safe with which to make their children 'relas' when they aren’t feeling well, are colicky, or are just plain hyper. I mean, it’s not like we can get paregoric anymore, so…

Restful Sleep is good for adults, too, but we usually add more herbs to that batch. This one is just for little ones, and it has to simmer for three days.



This is the assembly line, wearing their protective gear. We’re oh, so sanitary. Well, not really, but it’s not healthy to breathe the dust when mixing large quantities of dried plants. Of course, that can't be me… I wouldn’t be caught in a photo, especially on the internet, without mascara. It must be my hard-working clone. She doesn’t care about mascara, just about getting the job done.



Jake told us that through the afternoon of herbal processing, the term “meth lab” kept popping into his mind. Hmmm… what to make of that? Thankfully, when we asked where he heard about them, he said it was on Walker, Texas Ranger. Well, then. Isn’t that nice?

I literally (and oddly, I know) have dozens of bags of bulk herbs outside, so I make all sorts of different goodies. One of our favorite things is the Owie Packs. They are indispensible at our house. Now we have these handy-dandy heat-seal tea bags to put them in, too, so I don’t have to fashion packets out of paper towels.



As we worked, Jake talked about how we “could become millionaires selling this stuff” and he even did some research on the internet. So, that doubled as an economics lesson! I should make him calculate the cost per unit of our product, but I’m afraid it would knock my socks off to know. I’m afraid I’d have to sell quite a lot to make a profit. Domestic labor is costly these days…

So, if you’re having a baby in our vicinity, you know what you’re getting! If you’re not on our spring gift list, and you want to try some of our stuff, give us a holler. We’re always looking for new product testers!

Ooh, look at that! Honey just brought me an omelet! So, if you wait long enough, someone else WILL cook dinner!













No comments:

Post a Comment