Oh, it’s a lazy, lazy Saturday at our house. I have been in this same chair most of the day, getting up to do laundry and find a bite to eat every couple of hours. We’ve had several word games going on our various idevices and have gotten very little accomplished, save the laundry. Sometimes that kind of day is nice, though. I’m already looking forward to bedtime, but I’d better wait until I’ve been up at least twelve hours first. I’m working on a couple of sewing projects, so I guess that counts as something productive for the day.
Our camping trip went very well, and we managed to stay the entire time, so I was proud of us. We packed up and drove home yesterday in time to unpack, clean up, shower, and for Honey and I to head out for dinner and a movie. Dinner was actually a company function, but it can still count toward date night, I guess. Since today is the last official night of vacation week, I think we’re planning to play a family game to end it with some fun. Well, it will end best if I win that game, but we’ll see. I can settle for losing, as long as everyone has a good time.
I’m a little late in reporting that we lost our mama hen and one of her babies a couple weeks ago. When we got home from Missouri, we found 5 or 6 of the bigger hens mangled around the neck, the mama hen close to death, and both chicks missing. We also found two dachsunds camping out in one of the barns, but we weren’t positive they were the culprits, since there had been quite a bit of damage done. The next morning, we found one chick unharmed, but the mother soon expired. It didn’t take long for us to figure out what had happened, as the dachsunds took to attacking the flock again, dragging chickens by the necks, then ran off into the woods. We haven’t seen them since, but we ended up losing 3 or 4 hens, one baby, and now have an orphan chick. She (if she is a she) has been in and out of the house, in a cage, of course, but is now able to run around outside with the other chickens most of the time. She’s done pretty well for being alone. The kids have been calling her “Plucky,” but I think Annie is more fitting for a sweet orphan baby. Jake really wants to buy her a little dropping bag and keep her indoors as a pet, but…. It’s not going to happen.
The busiest time of the year has now started, and I’m already wishing we were back on our normal schedule. With the unplanned trip to Missouri, a weekend trip to West Texas for a wedding, camping, and Thanksgiving, that’s three weeks of missed school. Ouch ! We usually do miss quite a bit around November and December, but I’m planning to hit the books hard in December and keep up the momentum. The boys have been enjoying the break, but with nothing constructive to do, there has been a LOT of fighting. We had a long conversation the other night about being likeable, so now we hear, “You’re not being very likeable!” several times a day. I’m not sure it’s really sinking in.
Back to my projects… I’m good at starting them and never finishing, so I’m going to keep working. Right after my turn on Words with Friends…
No comments:
Post a Comment