Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Frosting Makes Everything Better

Don’t tell the kids, but I just downed a chocolate cupcake with a new uber-delicious frosting on top. It was perfect with a little bit of black coffee. This frosting is actually an old-timer recipe that, if I’m correct, is the same one my Old Granny used to use on her Red Velvet Cake. I’m not positive, since she never wrote her recipes down, but I think this is the one. (I really did call her “Old Granny” because I have another one who I dubbed “Little Granny.” I’m not sure how that started.) Old Granny was known, amongst the family, anyway, for her Red Velvet and German Chocolate cakes. The German chocolate has been pretty easy to track down, since it was kind of a fad recipe that came out with German’s chocolate decades ago. Nothing beats caramel pecan frosting, and that is a fact! The Red Velvet cake, while I think was also a bit of a fad, has been a little harder. I have tried several recipes, but none have been too impressive. Most of them call for a cream cheese frosting, as well, and Granny never used that. I finally found THIS frosting, and put the red-tinted coconut all over it, just like she did, and I knew that was it. At some point, I’ll find the perfect cake to go with that frosting. Actually, the whole concept of a ‘red velvet’ cake is a little unnerving. I mean, why on earth would you add a WHOLE bottle of red food coloring (Ack!) to a delicious chocolate cake?!?!? I think I’ll stick with a dark chocolate cake and THE frosting. We’ll call it the Dark Velvet, or Chocolate Suede. Yum.

Levi’s nose isn’t nearly the mess I expected it to be this morning. It looks about like it did last night, so I’m not going to take another picture. Maybe it was the awesome herbal “Ouchie Packs” I make that kept it from bruising. (We actually call them “Owy packs,” but I just don’t like the way that word looks in print. I can’t figure out the correct spelling for it!) Or maybe he just didn’t get a full-on blow like we thought he did. He may have just skimmed along the outside. He was aiming for the mattress, after all.

This is the last week of my anything-goes diet, no exercise, stay-up-late-and-sleep-in, fell-off-the-wagon lifestyle (no alcohol involved in falling off the wagon). My shoulders are tight, I haven’t been walking, the kids have watched way too much television (thank goodness for Netflix!), and everything is hectic. I’ve taken on too many projects all at one time (again), and we are just worn out. Well, the kids are fine. They’ve had plenty of rest. Today I am finishing a Barbie birthday cake and cupcakes, making a purse, preparing food for Thanksgiving, and attending a basketball game. I’m sure I can fit a couple more things in there if I try. I haven’t worn my heart-rate watch in a while, so maybe it’s time to get it back on.

The kids are looking forward to Thanksgiving, which Jake has proclaimed as the BEST time of the year. We always attend a big two-day family get-together where there are lots of young cousins to play with, so that’s their favorite event of the season. We also have a Dirty Turkey gift exchange that is fun, and this will be Jake’s first year to be involved in that, instead of just receiving a gift as a child. There’s really nothing dirty about it, unless you happen to get that year’s prank gift, which could range from a leopard-print bra to denture soak. It’s a fun time with a lot of fun people, and tons of food, so I can see how it would be an annual highlight. It’s the only time they get to see those cousins, too, so we try not to miss it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and be safe, wherever you are! And don’t skimp on dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment