Friday, November 12, 2010

Mixed Media

Tonight was a big night for Luke. It was his first art opening. It probably won’t be his last, since “art is his favorite thing.” Luke wore his suit, I dressed up, and the rest of the crew was sent back to change once, if not twice, before we left. Honey even opted to dress up a little more when he got the stink eye from the mom. Here’s Levi’s second try.



Dad and I just busted out laughing when he walked in, then had to apologize for hurting his feelings. Oh, that child. Just after changing, he walked into the kitchen, where I had warmed up some leftover smothered steak and potatoes for dinner, all kind of mashed together in one pan. He lit up and said, “Ooh, is that German Shepherd?” Again, the laughing and apologizing. He gets a lot of that. He meant Shepherd’s Pie, which I knew right away, but it was so funny! He’s always been our language-challenged child. It seems that what is in his head doesn’t always come out of his mouth just right, and he’ll say what he doesn’t mean about four times before he says what he DOES mean. It’s always hard not to laugh, and I had to explain to him tonight that we’re just laughing because we enjoy his cuteness, not to make fun of him. Like, when he used to say “Freddy’s Frozen Customer” instead of Freddy’s Frozen Custard. And he wanted “yotemeal” for breakfast. I have thoroughly enjoyed his twisted tongue. He expressed his frustration with all their embarrassing moments being blogged or posted on Facebook, so I told him I wouldn’t do it anymore. I would only write about his brothers. “Well, okay, I changed my mind,” he says. Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Once we all got properly dressed and showed up to the art center, Luke was happy to find several of his pieces on display. I think he was more happy about the candy and hot chocolate being served. He wouldn’t put down that cup of m&ms.



I’m not sure what these weird smiles were. It’s like he was trying to appear as if it was no big deal that he’s a big-time artist and his family “dropped by” to see his work. Just humility, I’m sure.





Yes, that’s his piece made out of shaped rubber bands. He’s a visionary.

His teacher said he has a “great eye.” I’m kind of partial to some of his early work, I’ll have to say, like this one from 2009…



And this from 2008.



It’s Earth, with Texas right in the middle. Don’t ask me why it has what appear to be elephant ears, with earrings, and a tongue. I just don’t know. He definitely has a unique and wise perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment