Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Daylight on my face

It’s now Tuesday, which marks a whole week that I haven’t left my house. Wow! Jake got sick Sunday night, so he’s been miserable since then, and the rest of us are just waiting it out. Craig is at work, of course, the only family member who has not had the virus, and hopefully, will not. He’s having all sorts of problems at work and couldn’t get to the grocery, so I finally just loaded up the boys, sick Jake and all, and we went. The last time Craig went to the store, last week, he brought home cereal that is not on the mom-approved list, too, so I wasn’t thrilled about him going again. Jake stayed in the car and slept while the rest of us hurried through the store and back home, and he made it okay. He also got a couple movies out of the deal, so he didn’t mind too much. Poor thing feels terrible, though, no matter where he is. It sure felt good to me to get out of the house, for a couple hours, anyway.

The funny thing about all this sickness, is that I’ve had time to get so much done! I actually don’t have anything pressing to do, and I’m not sure how to handle that situation. It’s great, really, but I’m just not sure what to do next. I could just sit on the couch and relax, but then I’d feel guilty, especially after doing that while I was sick. There’s always ironing. But, I’ve also been putting off sewing, since it was a ‘frivolous’ project, purely for enjoyment, so I’m thinking about whipping up a couple of aprons today. Or, I could take in those thrift-store bargains so I can wear them. Hmmmm… so many choices when you have… free time. Ooh, that feels weird in my mouth. I actually had to say it out loud, because it didn’t really make sense in my head, lol. (Can you put lol in a blog, or is its use restricted to text, chat, and email? I don’t know all the ‘new’ rules of language etiquette, if there are any.)

Yesterday, I completed another project that’s been lingering in the closet… moving all the vhs home videos to dvds. The problem with this project is that you can’t leave the video! Theoretically, I can set up the recording, set the timer, and come back when it’s time to change the video. However, I’d forgotten what was on there, and couldn’t resist watching all my sweet babies. We made it all the way from the start of Levi to Luke at age 2 yesterday, for a total of about 11 hours straight through. Monday night, I did a few more hours, so I’d say between the 6 disks, there are close to 18 hours of video. Nice. I still have four more mini dv tapes, the ones that actually fit in the camera, to burn to dvd, but I can’t find the ac adapter for the camera, so I’m having to borrow a camera from a friend just to get it finished. So, though I’ve finished all the vhs, I still have 6-8 hours left when I get the loaner. Now THAT’s keeping family history! I don’t record hardly ever now, except for blips here and there on the regular camera, so I’ll have to put those on, too. I’ve put a new video camera on my wish list – one that takes mini dvds, so I don’t have to do all the transferring – so maybe I’ll see one in the next few months, when I catch Craig at a generous moment.

The apple cider, first batch of the season, is bubbling on the stove and smelling wonderful, so I’d better go tend to that and the pot of chicken soup I’m starting. Yes, the family is getting very tired of soup, for sure, but at least it will have some meat this time! That’s a change. It’s such a wonderful vehicle for garlic and onion, my healing friends, that I can’t help but make tons of it when we’re sick. We usually aren’t sick this long, though! Craig and I were just talking about how good some cupcakes or brownies sound. Mmmm… when everyone is well, I’ll have to break down and make some dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment