Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Almost there

Jake is doing much better today, but still tired and lacking energy. I think he actually shriveled up from not eating. He asked me why his stomach was all sunken in and I told him it was because he hadn’t eaten for two whole days. I guess when you’re growing as fast as he is, two days makes a big difference! I keep wanting to say that he is peaked, but I have been wondering whether that was really a fitting term, or just something my great-grandmother had used, as I never hear it any more. So, of course, I looked it up. Pronounced PEE-kid, it means pale and drawn in appearance, so as to suggest illness or stress; wan and sickly. And there it is – exactly how we’ve always used it. I’m glad to know it’s correct! So, that’s what he is… peaked. We were going to go on to services tonight, since he was playing around and feeling better, but after sitting across the table from him at lunch and watching him a while, I can tell he needs more rest. He needs to be well for piano tomorrow, too, since he missed last week. The instructor will only make up two missed sessions, and I don’t want to pay $20 for NOT getting a lesson!

The rain is back, which is nice. It’s really more fitting when you’re confined to your house. It just didn’t seem fair for it to be so beautiful outside and us stuck inside. I’d much rather see it raining when we have to be here. I’m sure Craig would disagree today. His plant is broken, and the rain will only slow down the repairs and further his frustration. It’s raining lightly, though, so maybe it won’t cause much of a setback.

I finally pulled out my sewing menagerie last night and started on my lineup. I have finished two skirts and I’m starting on a dress, so maybe I’ll actually make some good progress. I would have more done, but Levi and Luke had school this morning, so I had to wait to get started. It’s such a strange week – I just feel like we’re kind of floating around, with no schedule or purpose. Levi and Luke have had two days of school, so that’s helpful, but when it’s just them, it goes really fast. Jake’s work is what takes the longest, and the things we do all together, like History and Science, which have been put aside. So, a couple hours and we’re done. It will be great for everyone to be well and able to participate again next week.

Well, my clothes aren’t altering themselves, and I’d better take advantage of the quiet time while I have everyone banished to their rooms. Come on, weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment