Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Barely Moving

Entered Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Today we got to sleep in again… so nice. But, I have been tired from dusk until dawn lately. I say we slept late, but we also stayed up until 2:30 am watching a movie. Hey, it’s vacation. So, even though we slept in, we still didn’t get an abundance of sleep. When you combine a whole weekend of late nights and going, going, going, with eating out and drinking WAY too much coffee, it makes for a pretty sluggish body. I was ready for a nap an hour after we got up today! I waited several hours, though, then took over an hour and a half of a nap to try to catch up.

The late night movie we watched was No Reservations with Catherine Zeta-Jones. Of course, that was my pick, not Craig’s, but it was enjoyable. It was the second movie in which the main character could have been me. (The other one was Jennifer Lopez in the Wedding Planner.) In this one, Catherine was the executive chef at a restaurant in New York, and she was a bit OC (obsessive-compulsive). She kept her truffles (the kind pigs find, not the chocolate ones) in a tackle box and blotted them with a paper towel every day. Sounds like a good idea to me!

As I type, Luke is asleep on his futon bed, and Craig, Jake, and Levi are outside waiting for the raccoon party. They are a little slower coming out tonight, and in smaller numbers, but they are there to watch. I’m content to stay inside tonight. It’s awfully quiet in here, and except for Neco sitting in my lap and chewing on his feet, I am free from any disturbances. That’s not a regular occurrence in my life, so I appreciate every minute of it!

We have had a fun day, even with the lethargy, but do plan to go to sleep a little earlier tonight. We got up this morning and had our five-out-of-seven-days-a-week breakfast of yogurt and granola (We love homemade granola – a recipe that WILL be in the cookbook!) then set out to explore the park. I’d like to say we did it on foot, but it was in the truck. We found a nice little spot to swim, away from more populous spots in the park, and made plans to go back after lunch and a movie. We returned to the camper and had lunch, then I went to bed for my long nap while Craig and the kids watched Water Horse. Craig, though he is a marital veteran of only 10 years, has learned what so many husbands will never fully grasp – the value of a well-rested wife. Everyone knows the saying, “If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy,” but Craig takes extra measures to ensure that Mama gets her rest, too. This mama gets very cranky when she is sleep-deprived, and he is very good to entertain the boys when I need to rest, and for that I am extremely thankful. Not many men will sacrifice their own nap or rest time in order to let their wives recharge, but he’s not like many men, either. I am very blessed.

After our rest time, we headed to the river and found a cool spot just past the small rapids to relax. The boys wore their life jackets and floated down the rapids, which were only between 2 and 3 feet deep the whole way, and had a blast. The rocks in this part of the river are pretty rough, so they got a few scrapes and bumps, but had a fun time overall. Craig and I threw rocks at each other, and he demonstrated his rock-skipping skill for us. There’s just nothing as satisfying as sitting in the cool river water and skipping stones… well, I guess it could be MORE satisfying with a coffee frappuccino, but let’s not get greedy.

Our last dinner at the campground was a proper one – hotdogs and s’mores. However, I have a hard time stomaching regular s’mores, what with the cheap chocolate and all, so ours were made with regular marshmallows, caramel-filled milk chocolate Ghiradelli squares, and sandwiched between Spanish Goya Maria cookies. Quite a treat with a creamy glass of milk! We finally cut into our watermelon, only to find that it was bad, and had fermented. Levi thought it tasted like Sprite, but we decided to forego that experience.

In the morning, we pack up and go home… to do laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment