Tuesday, August 9, 2011

∆ = Good

Remember high school geometry? If A = B and B = C, then A = C.

Remember ∆? ∆ is the Greek letter Delta, and it means ‘change.’ (That may not have been in geometry, but it has something to do with math… I’m pretty sure.)

Stay with me here… Now that we’re refreshed on the above information, here is an equation relative to my life. Well, I guess it’s a proof, if we’re dealing in geometry.

∆ = Chaos
∆ = Good
Therefore, Chaos = Good
Right? Follow?

Now, since we’ve proven this, geometrically speaking, it must be true. Right?

That’s what I keep telling myself. Change is good. Chaos is just part of the process. I’m pretty sure I didn’t need geometry to prove it, since life itself does such a great job, but, what can I say? I’m a sucker for a good, dorky analogy to illustrate a concept.

Of course, chaos can also be the result of bad decisions and lack of planning, but it is very often the result of progress. Think about cleaning out your closet. (Analogy alert.) The job itself is very messy, but, little by little, the mess grows. Then, little by little, it begins to shrink, until you are left with a gloriously tidy closet… exactly what you set out to accomplish.

Then you do it all again in 6 months.

So, we wanted to move, and we hoped for a promotion for Honey, and he got it! The Lord has blessed us greatly. That is definitely Good, and certainly the Change we anticipated.

Now come the nitty gritty details. Honey is uber-swamped with work, driving crazy amounts of miles, we’ve hardly seen him for the past two weeks, and we’re looking forward to more of the same for the next three or four months. Or longer - depending on how long it takes us to find another house, get moved, and settle in. Add to that a couple of out-of-town family visits for the boys and myself, making repairs on the current house, and starting fall activities and school semester, and you’ve got your Chaos. Lots of it.

It’s exhausting, but I’m trying to remain positive and think of how fast the next few months will go. Before we know it, we’ll be in a new house (preferably without navy blue carpet and very near a large grocery store with an obscenely-sized organic section) and will get to have family dinners together again. Honey will have a long drive to and from work every day, even after the move, but I’m hoping his new schedule will loosen up a little once he gets settled. He has a big job cut out for him, but he’s awesome at getting things under control, so I know he’ll have it running smoothly soon enough. In the meantime, we’ll have to get used to seeing very little of him. We’re praying it won’t last long, though. We hope you’ll pray that, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment