Monday, December 6, 2010

ggl

I’ve had it. I just can’t do it anymore. What do I mean? I mean, lol. No, really, I mean… LOL. As in, Laugh Out Loud. (Hopefully, if you are reading this blog, you already knew what that meant.) I use ‘lol’ an ‘l-o-t.’ (I used ‘an’ there because you were supposed to spell out ‘l-o-t.’ If you didn’t, I’m sure it sounded like I didn’t use the correct article, and that would be just awful.) It so necessarily communicates the humor in our otherwise emotionless online writing, whether in texting, blogging, updating statuses, or whatever modality one might be using. I wouldn’t be surprised if we started using it in handwritten letters to our grandmothers (as if we do that anymore), or in the cover letter to a resume.

… “I am seeking a position that will allow me to utilize my skills and talents in a way that will encourage growth in both myself and the company, with benefits for my growing family, lol.”

The problem is this. I really DON’T laugh out loud ninety-nine percent of the time I use ‘lol.’ I really don’t mean to lie to you folks, I just don’t have any other way of conveying my ‘weak smile’, or my ‘giggle’, or my ‘physically unnoticeable but sincere appreciation of your humor.’ Really, we can’t go having abbreviations for all those degrees of cyber-laughter. That would be ridiculous. We would need to carry a guide for text abbreviations. But, I have found one that will cover most of the more subtle levels of amusement. The ‘ggl’ is my new friend. From now on, when I am not laughing out loud, but expressing one of the aforementioned lesser forms of lol, I will use a giggle (ggl.) It can range from an inward feeling of amusement to a private giggle. However, once you really laugh out loud, or someone hears you giggling, it would only be right to use lol.

Of course, the same capitalization rules will apply to ggl as to lol. The stronger the ggl, the bigger the GGL. I hope it’s not confused with google. That’s something entirely different, but just as wonderful.

What’s that? I’m a geek? Oh, nobody will debate that fact. And you think I have too much time on my hands? No. Definitely, no. I just have too many thoughts in my head, and if they don’t come out here, Honey will have to hear about them all, and he doesn’t have that much time on his hands, either, ggl.

No comments:

Post a Comment