Ah, the new couch sure is comfy! It's over a month old, but this is the first time I've really had the chance to lie down and enjoy it for any length of time, and it's pretty plush! Actually, I'd rather be up and busy, like, balancing the checkbook, which is two weeks overdue, but I've had an awful sinus headache for the past 24 hours, and this is the place for me today. We didn't neglect school, thankfully, so it wasn't a wasted day... just not as full as I like. The kids and I are watching a historical fiction cartoon right now, so I thought it was a good opportunity to catch up. I was reprimanded by my grandfather this weekend for being behind on the blog, so I'd better write! I've actually had a lot of good material to share over the past couple of weeks, but I'm sure I won't be able to remember it all. I'll try my best on a good recap.
This past Saturday, we went to a family reunion in Fredericksburg, which is always fun. We do a little shopping, a little swimming, relaxing, and visiting, which is a good way to spend a Saturday. One of these days, I'll get all those cousins' names straight and figure out where they belong.
Last week, there was a new addition to our beloved friends' family. Our new baby friend caused me a lot of anxiety, so were glad when she was here safe! (Like it mattered how much anxiety I had, lol. I wasn't the one having the baby!) For one, her parents came up with this great idea to make the baby's gender a surprise, which was really just a ploy to torture their family and friends, and keep them waiting anxiously. Secondly, she came early, and thirdly, she didn't really want to come out at all! Thankfully, aided by fervent prayer, she burst out at the last minute, before her mother was taken in for a c-section. Boy, were we glad to hear that! There were a few tense hours, but she's here safe and healthy, as well as her mama, and I can't wait to spend a little more time with her. There are two more babies to come in our four-straight baby run, so we're looking forward to those in the next few weeks, too.
Baseball is finally over, and I'm sorry to say, our record was 0-15. That's about the worst record I've ever seen, but we had a few things stacked against us, so we weren't terribly disappointed. The kids really wanted to win one, but they got their trophies and party, so I'm not sure they actually noticed. They are already geared up for next year, and we happened to hit a baseball clearance sale, so they have most of their equipment ready, too. I'm really trying to talk Craig into coaching one of their teams next season, but we'll see. He's not thrilled about dealing with potentially difficult kids and parents, which is understandable, but I think he would be really good at it. When he worked with our boys, they improved immensely.
The garden has been disappointing the last few weeks. Most of it is growing, except the peppers, which have all been stripped by caterpillars, and most of the okra, which has just disappeared. This morning when I went out, most of the leaves on the potatoes had been completely eaten, and I found the biggest caterpillar I have ever seen feasting on them. He was bright green, as fat as and longer than my middle finger, and holding on tight. I made sure he wasn't going to eat any more of my plants, though. I've tried a couple natural methods of insect cotrol, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I'm hoping we'll get a FEW things by the middle of summer, or we will have wasted quite a bit of money, and a LOT of time!
This week will be busy, as usual. It seems like there are just NO free Saturdays anymore. It's hard to remember one that we didn't have to be somewhere. We did get last Saturday at home, since it was Memorial weekend, and that was nice, but we could have used a few more throughout the summer. Couldn't we reverse it to where, instead of having one free Saturday a month, we have only one Saturday with an activity, and the other three or four free? I don't guess it's as bad for people who live in town, because it doesn't take all day to go somewhere, but when you have to tack on the two-hour round trip, your day is shot. The bright side is, we have a whole lot of friends and family with whom we get to spend time!
No comments:
Post a Comment