Well, the ‘no-poo’ movement here is quickly turning into a ‘no-go.’ I’m not sure why, or what I’m doing wrong, but I can’t seem to get it figured out. I’ve tried the baking soda alone, baking soda, then vinegar, vinegar only on the ends… and every time, my scalp freaks out and produces a LOT of oil. I know there is supposed to be an adjustment period, but , come on! I can’t go out looking like a greasy stay-home mom! It’s bad enough that the UPS guy and the water softener guy have to see me in my grungy ‘uniform’ that usually consists of a paint-stained shirt and a pair of athletic shorts, no makeup, and flip-flops, but to have greasy hair on top of all that is just embarrassing! It’s not like it’s not CLEAN, just WAY oily, and I’m not usually one to have problems with an oily scalp. We have been getting some good laughs with it, though. Last night, I had a shower and used the baking soda, then followed with the vinegar rinse. As soon as my hair dried, it was apparent that it was BAD. We were watching a movie, and Craig was rubbing my back and shoulders (to try and relieve that massive headache), and instead of getting the massage oil, he just rubbed his hands on my hair. It was pretty funny. Says he, “Who needs that corn kernel oil, when you can use head grease?” He’s referring to the apricot kernel oil I use as a moisturizer, but that made it even funnier. Today, I will be shampooing!
I forgot a couple of trivial, but amusing events from the past couple weeks in my last blog, as I knew I would. We had a pot-luck dinner last Sunday night, and I was grating cheese to make a hominy dish. (It was yummy!) The block of cheddar was crumbly, and as I forced it downward on the grater, it broke, allowing my thumb to plunge onto the metal. My thumbnail hit, busted back into the quick, and started bleeding. Craig heard me cry out and came to see what had happened. Of course, when I told him I had a cheese grater tragedy, he couldn’t help but laugh and act UNsurprised. He said I’m like Mrs. Magoo, since I can manage to hurt myself ANYwhere, even in jobs that wouldn’t normally be thought of as dangerous. Thankfully, it was early in the grating, so we could start over, since we never did find that piece of thumbnail. If you have been reading the blog long, you may remember a few of my other ‘episodes’... getting the riding lawnmower hung on the swing and getting stuck in the air… cutting the cord on a lamp, causing a loud pop, but no shock… catching my pants in the electric drill and being unable to stand up without winding them up farther… that’s all I can remember right now. I’m not dangerous, I just happen to get into situations that could TURN dangerous, and are always funny and compromise my dignity. At least it makes life spicy!
The other unfortunate event was a blow-out I had on the highway the other day. It happened to be when I had FIVE kids in the car, my husband was 90 miles away, and it was about 90 degrees with 90% humidity outside. That’s a lot of 90s stacked against me! Thankfully, there are a lot of helpful strangers and friends around who helped us, but it was still an ordeal. I didn’t stop on the side of the highway, since I think that is ridiculously unsafe, but managed to pull into a parking lot about ½ a mile down the road, which really shredded my tire. A few people from the office building there came out to help, but after we put the jack (which we were turning with a crescent wrench because I was missing a piece of the handle) in the wrong place and bent the frame, I convinced them that my husband had help on the way and they could return to their office jobs. One of Craig’s coworkers from another plant came to help us, and let Jake do most of the work, which Jake appreciated. In just an hour we were back on the road and headed to piano, hot and hungry. Thank the Lord for kind people!
Jake’s first piano lesson with his new teacher went really well, once we finally got there. She was able to take us late, which was a good thing! She has been teaching piano for 17 years, is very kind and gentle, and he really enjoyed it. I’m hoping she will be the encouragement he needs to keep going and practice. He likes the lessons, it’s the daily practice time he hates. We’re working on it, though.
The day is going fast, and I still need to get the kids fed, start a baby blanket, start dinner, balance the checkbook (yes, still haven’t done that) and WASH my hair before the dog’s vet appointment at 4. Oh, yes, the dog. I took him to the groomer this week, where he got a nice razor burn on both sides of his face when they shaved him. We won’t be going back there… Now that he’s shaved, we can see hoards of fleas on him, even though he is ALWAYS on flea meds, and he’s got sores and bumpy skin on his body and ears. Poor guy! We are going in to have him checked out and get his rabies booster, so he probably won’t be a happy camper.
Our next 50 guinea chicks and meat babies will be here on Thursday, so I’ll try to post some better pictures this time. They are so cute when they’re new!
The word in the title, flummoxed, is one of Levi's vocabulary words this week. We are trying to use them at home more, so I thought this was a good opportunity. I have printed lists of our vocabulary words from language arts and our Latin vocabulary and put them under the clear cover on our dinner table so we can practice using them more often, and the kids had fun at lunch. They were saying things like, "Jake est piscis" and "Luke est pullus," which mean "Jake is a fish" and "Luke is a chicken." Should be interesting.
One last thing before I close… I don’t normally name my friends and family in the blog, just because it’s on the internet and not private. My kids are named, just because… well, because by the time I thought about it, it was too late. But, anyway, nobody else wants their information out there for any old creep to pick up. So, I try to be considerate in that way. The stories I tell could be about anyone, really, though the subjects and most of our friends know who they are. Still, I thought it might be wise to include a disclaimer that should cover any problem that might arise from one of my faithful blog readers. I think it’s pretty comprehensive, but let me know if you notice anything I have overlooked. So, here it is…
No representation or warranty, express or implied, with respect to the completeness, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, or utility of these materials or any information or opinion contained herein. Some names have been changed to protect the innocent. This product is meant for educational purposes only. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. One size fits all. Colors may, in time, fade. Sanitized for your protection. Beware of the dog. No purchase necessary. Not recommended for children under 12. Prerecorded for this time zone. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. For recreational use only. This is not an offer to sell securities. Read at your own risk. Ask your doctor or pharmacist. Parental guidance advised. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Use only in well-ventilated area. Not for resale. No preservatives or additives. Keep away from pets and small children. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue use. Please remain seated until the web page has come to a complete stop. No salt, MSG, artificial coloring or flavoring added. Reproduction strictly prohibited. Pregnant women, the elderly, and children should avoid prolonged exposure to this product. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. May contain nuts. Do not use this product if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, thyroid disease, asthma, glaucoma, or difficulty in urination. May be too intense for some viewers. Products are not authorized for use as critical components in life support devices or systems. Do not play your headset at high volume. Discontinue use of this product if any of the following occurs: itching, aching, vertigo, dizziness, ringing in your ears, vomiting, giddiness, aural or visual hallucinations, tingling in extremities, loss of balance or coordination, slurred speech, temporary blindness, drowsiness, insomnia, profuse sweating, shivering, or heart palpitations. The information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable. However, no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information is implied. No liability is accepted for errors, omissions or inadequacies in the information contained herein or for interpretations thereof. The reader assumes sole responsibility for the selection of these materials to achieve its intended results. The opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous disclaimers.
No comments:
Post a Comment