Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fireworks and Free Radicals

What a morning. We were up early and started school at 8:30, a full hour and a half before we usually start, and finished by lunch, WITH History and Science. It was great! It’s amazing how much better you feel when you get up early and get everything done on time! The boys are watching a movie while I tie up loose ends in the finance department. I knew that if I didn’t blog now, I wouldn’t do it, so I’m doing that first. We just had lunch, and Jake asked me what ‘antioxidants’ are. I launched into an explanation of free radicals and how antioxidants help us, and Jake said, “So THAT’s what free radicals are. I thought they were something from the sixties… like, some guy that just got out of Woodstock. Doesn’t it sound like that? Free RADICAL?” What a funny kid.

Tonight, we are planning a major trash burn. Yes, I’m aware that a statement like that sounds very hillbilly. We have a burn pile that started when we moved out here three years ago that is full of tree limbs, large boxes, doors, wood scraps, etc. Since we were in a burn ban for over two years, it has grown and grown until it’s pretty large. We’ve decided now is as good a time as any to get rid of it, so we covered it with tarps yesterday before the rain came, and we are going to light it up tonight. The rain has wet down the ground around it, and Honey will mow the weeds down before we start, so we will hopefully have a good, safe burn. If not, I’ll be sure to blog about it later. The boys are terribly excited. Since we’ve had rain this year, it will be the first that we can do fireworks on Independence Day, and they are even more excited about THAT! With the rain this week, maybe we can even do some of those bottle rockets that have been in the closet for the last three years!

No comments:

Post a Comment