Monday, January 18, 2010

Gravy, Baseball, and Ugly Feet

I’m supposed to be starting dinner right now, so I have to make it quick. The day has gone by way too fast, and I’m behind, as usual. Well, I’m not really behind, but trying to squeeze the blog into an already tight schedule is hardly justified, and it WILL make me behind! However, I’m actually waiting for the empanada dough to get to room temperature so I can roll it out, so…

Today has been a productive day. We got to bed at a decent hour last night, and I actually got up early, for a change. If you’re thinking that may have been 8 or 9, it was 6 am, which should qualify by any reasonable person’s standards. I EVEN worked out for, oh, about 10 minutes, which is plenty for these weak and neglected muscles, if I don’t want to be writhing in pain tomorrow. Slow and steady. I had some quiet time to read the Bible, made a batch of muffins, and we had school started by 9 o’clock. It didn’t seem like three hours that I had, but I guess it was. We were almost done when I got a phone call to go rescue my prince… had to run something up to Craig, so we made a lunch of it, and even had a short, but meaningful conversation about gravy. Craig pointed out that the problem is that everyone wants to be the biscuit, soaking up all the gravy. That’s all we want in life, right? Gravy? I’ll have to agree with that culinary wisdom.

After hurrying home to finish our lessons, Jake is out riding his dirt bike, and the others are practicing baseball, waiting for their Dad to get home and jump their four-wheelers. Jake, who seems to know more about a lot of things than I do these days, informed me that one of them had to be jumped, and who knows what’s wrong with the other one, so I decided they could wait until Dad got home to get them running. They weren’t thrilled. He got them all running on Saturday, so they had a couple hours of fun all together. It was the first time we’ve had them ALL working at the same time! They are SO hard to keep running – there is constantly something wrong with one or more of them. I think they are more trouble than chickens! Well, close!

I just registered Levi and Luke for Spring baseball, so the chaos can ensue. Hopefully, they will be on the same team this year, so we will only have ONE set of practices and games. I signed up to volunteer at the concession stand, and I had to consent to a criminal background check and submit personal information, volunteer history, and references. That’s nice to know!

Saturday was our Ugly Sweater Dinner, and we had a load of fun. It was a lot warmer this week than when we planned this ‘warm and toasty’ activity, so many of us ditched the sweaters half way through the night, but we got to have our competition. I went to Goodwill, looking for not only sweaters, but a trophy to suit the occasion, and boy, did I find it. I expected that I would know when I found it, whatever it was, and I did. I saw a plaster (I guess) molded foot on a base, that was obviously molded from SOMEbody’s pudgy foot, and it was perfect. It even had polished toenails. I had to scrub it to get the dirt out from between the toes, but it turned out perfect. We decided it would be fun to reuse the trophy for any future competitions, and just let the winners write their names on it, so we’ll be seeing it again. Yay.

Well, tonight is a deer processing night, and I told Craig I would have dinner ready and the table prepped for the carcass, so I better run. (Another thing I never imagined I’d be saying.) Those empanadas aren’t going to roll and stuff themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment