Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Successes and Failures

Everything is back to normal here… Craig fixed the water Monday afternoon, with only ONE trip to the hardware store, and we were able to shower that night, thank goodness. I worked on the desk all that day, sanding and staining, and I was hot and dirty. The boys helped me sand, so we all wore dust masks, which made it even hotter! I came in once with sweat on my face and around my mouth where the mask had been, and Craig stared at me with his mouth open. He asked, in amazement, “Are you… sweating? Stay right there and let me get the camera!” Is it bad that ladies like myself prefer NOT to sweat? Come on… you CAN lead a productive life without perspiring! Yes, I know it’s healthy to sweat, but it just takes so much effort and heat for me to get to that point, that I’d rather just skip it and drink lots of water. After that whole day of sanding, I was also hurting ALL OVER! Go figure! I used the orbital sander, and the little mouse thing, and I guess all that vibration did something to me, but I felt like I was getting the flu, the way my body ached! By Tuesday morning, I felt better, but the middle of my back, apparently where the ‘sanding muscles’ are, was SO sore. It’s still sore today! And my left hamstring, for some reason… I’m always surprised at which muscles you use for various jobs that you never would have expected!

The desk is all done, and in place, sort of. It’s completely refinished and looking quite nice, but we have to add a few shelves to it, and build another table-desk where the kids will sit. See, I didn’t need a desk, I needed a serious work-station! It’s going to take a little modifying, but it will be great when it’s done. I’ll post some before and after pictures when it’s all done, which will hopefully be in the next couple of weeks, since the new school year starts in less than a month! We have actually had some vacation time as we’ve finished some of our books, so that’s been nice. Too many projects taking up the rest time, though!

Last night, Craig and I were working on a Scrabble game on the computer after the kids were in bed. (Well, Jake was still in here, because he likes to help me on Scrabble, and he’s actually pretty good.) So, we were concentrating on the screen, when Levi walked in, holding ANTOHER tooth in his hand. I didn’t even know it was loose! He pulled it in his bed, without a word. So weird, these kids! We told him to put it under his pillow so the ‘tooth fairy/toothenator’ could take care of it. He grinned and went back to bed. Well… this morning, he came in holding his tooth, with a cocked head and a one-eyebrow raise. I felt SO bad! We forgot! I apologized and hugged him, and he just said, “Mom, I know the tooth fairy and the toothenator are just you guys!” I told him I know that, but I still felt bad, and told him I’d pay him now. He said that was fine, and I gave him TWO dollars, instead of one. Then he said, “Wow, two dollars? I remember when I got FIVE one time!” Man, the tooth fairy job is a hard one these days!

Okay, I somehow got my keyboard in Spanish mode, and I don’t know how to get it back! All my symbols are in the wrong places and I have to hit them all to find what I need! If you can tell me how to fix it… please email me! This is my quotation mark [ and this is my top row on shift- °!”#$%&/()=?¡ Ack!!

No comments:

Post a Comment