Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Here, chicky, chicky, chickies!

It’s Wednesday night, and as I sit here typing, I can’t think of anything very meaningful to share. Hmmm…. I have so many moments throughout the day that I DO have something to share, just no time to sit down and do it, but by this time of night, it’s all gone. Levi and Luke are in bed, and Craig and Jake have gone to the neighbor’s house to round up some chickens. The neighbors are moving into town, so they are giving us their free-roaming chickens. The problem is, they can only be caught while they’re roosting, and even thought we didn’t get home from services until almost 11, that means now! Thankfully, I have to stay here with the younger boys. So sorry to miss that adventure… Actually, in the daytime, I would have been game. But, the dark and I are not very friendly, so I’m quite content to stay inside! Besides, this was a perfect opportunity to break out a chocolate snack when I’m all alone!

I’ve tried REALLY hard the past couple of days to stay on the “new and improved” schedule. It’s amazing how much work you can get done if you don’t stop to check email or get sidetracked on any number of distracting things. We got a lot of work done, and I’m thrilled to say that we’re about to finish our History book for the year so we can spend some time concentrating on Science. Of course, we are still doing the basics, as well, but History and Science seem to get shoved out of the way when we’re short on time, which is a lot, so we have a little catching up to do. Thankfully, we still have plenty of time to do it, as our year won’t officially end until August. This week, we’ve been reading about the Roman Emperors in the time of Christ, and the several hundred years that followed, and I’ve learned SO much that I didn’t learn in TWELVE years of school! I never really knew the structure of the government, or even the circumstances surrounding the Roman occupation of Judea, and now that I do, the New Testament makes so much more sense! All those governors, satraps, kings, etc, were really confusing before! The whole year of history has been beneficial, actually, because I also learned a lot more about what was going on in the world in relation to the accounts in the Old Testament, too. Did you know that Nebuchadnezzer, the Babylonian king who threw Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego into the fiery furnace, is the same person that built the Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Who knew? It’s nice to finally learn so much world history, especially as it relates to the Bible. And to think, this is only the 4th grade!

The boys are back… with no chickens. Apparently, they were too high in the trees. Maybe tomorrow night. Off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment