Saturday, October 4, 2008

Drain sludge and democrats

It’s the weekend again, and the week flew by. Craig spent Sunday through Friday in Alabama at an Advanced Sales class, of all things for a production manager, and the boys and I went to Athens for a visit. It’s nice to travel, but it’s so much nicer to get back home! We lazed around yesterday evening, as we picked Craig up on our way in and didn’t get home until about 5 pm. This morning, we slept in, then spent several hours deciding exactly WHAT we wanted to get done today. The list of things that NEED to be done is so long, that it took a while to prioritize. It finally came down to getting some food in the house, and working on the drain… a monster project that we’ve been putting off.

My kitchen drain has been giving us problems for a while, and Craig actually dug up the line a couple months back, we just never finished the job. It’s a nasty one, you see, so it was easy to put off. I’ve been able to use the sink, just can’t run much water through it without it backing up and draining ever so slowly. Well, today is the day. This drain, alone, runs laterally away from the house and out into the field, instead of into the septic system. It turns out, much to my disgust, that it drains right into the garden! So, all of my efforts at producing healthful, organic vegetables have been dreadfully wasted due to the Drano and Barkeeper’s Friend that have washed into them! How horrid!! And, it’s too late to save them, as we’ve been eating them all summer! AAAaaack!

Presently, Craig is digging a ditch in another direction, into which he can lay a new lateral line. He ended up having to break into the other one, and finally into the pipes directly under the sink, which were caked with residue and, apparently, Barkeeper’s Friend. This is a major dilemma for me, since that product is the ONLY one that works on my white porcelain sink that gets so horribly stained. I use it every few days, and I NEED it!! Comet doesn’t do the trick, nor do any of the other powdered cleansers. So, what do I do now?? If you know of anything that works as well, please share your secret, as this mess is not one Craig would like to undertake again! I’m just hoping I have a working drain by the time I need to clean up from dinner, which I will attempt to prepare by using the bathroom sink. Fun!!

I guess building a hall closet will have to wait for another Saturday. Next week, I’ll be joining in a garage sale, so that is my focus for the coming days. I’m ready to sell it ALL, and not replace it. Well, except for the dining table. I’m afraid I will have to replace that. If only we didn’t NEED all this stuff!

Here’s the funny conversation of the week. Our three-year old friend, Isaiah, when asked who he would marry, answered (paraphrased), “how ‘bout the girls stay with the girls, and the boys with the boys.” His mother explained to us that when they spend a day together as a family, they often send him with Daddy to work in the yard, while the girls stay inside and work on something else. Hence, “boys stay with the boys, and girls stay with the girls.” So, he figured it could work in this situation, as well. Why not just hang out with Dad forever, right? So, if that wasn’t funny enough, when Jake heard this told, he retorted, “Hmph. Sounds like that kid’s gonna be a democrat!” Sounds like he’s a nine-year old who is pretty current on today’s politics!

Going to check on the sludge removal… and cook dinner in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment