I decided that, today, for my thirty-fifth
, (Gasp! I know, I know. You never would have guessed it.) my gift to myself is to MAKE the time to
blog. I don’t actually have time today,
this being our busiest day of every week, but I am going to make it. I mean, really, what’s a little more rushing
around like a crazy woman? Will anyone
actually notice that I’m further behind than normal? Or crazier than normal? Probably not.
I had to pause for a moment
while my boys sang to me and gave me their sweet cards. Here are the three main ideas of the cards. See if you can guess who wrote each one.
“I
love you moer than gold and silver.”
”Roses
are red, violets are blue. You’re
getting old, and Dad is too!”
“I love you around the world and back.”
Nothing beats homemade birthday
cards and a serenade by three handsome young men.
So, as I think about my age, my
gray hair, my accumulated life-wisdom… where do I stand in comparison to where
I thought I would be? Pretty much where
I would expect my thirty-five-year-old self to be, I guess. I’m still deficient in many areas, but I
hope to have another thirty-five or more years to complete my journey.
Age is always a state of mind. That’s cliché, I know, but, I really do still
feel so young! I’m terribly intimidated by teenagers, because
I don’t feel any older than them. Not MY
teenager, of course. We all know I can
still pin him (though, barely) in the living room floor if he questions my
physical strength, and I make sure to remind him of that often.
I
have more gray hair than I’d like, but less than I probably should, considering
the break-neck pace at which a homeschooling mother of three boys operates. (I have to put in ‘homeschooling’ there,
because it emphasizes the fact that they are with me all the time. THAT can definitely accelerate one’s
transition to a hoary head.)
My wisdom… that’s a hard one to
gauge. I could sit and compare myself to
others, and get many different answers, but that would be a very UNwise thing
to do. I will compare myself to the
Proverbs 31 woman and realize that I have a long way to go. And, I will compare myself to where I was 5, 10, even 15
years ago, and be thankful for what I have gained. I think I’ll just take the average of both and
be content with steady progress.
I think my greatest
accomplishments in these few short years are the sweet, stinky boys that are
currently working quietly on their schoolwork (YES! HAPPY Birthday to me!), and daily commitment
to a blessed marriage and wonderful Honey.
Without Honey encouraging me to
grow and challenge myself, while at the same time reigning me in and keeping me
on the path we chose, I would be a total mess.
Okay, more of a total mess. He makes sure I maintain a clinical sanity,
at least, and keeps my drive to conquer the world in check. The Lord knew what kind of man I needed to
love and lead me, and gave him a lot of patience and understanding. And a good sense of humor!
As a final thought, I’m going
to make a list of some things I need to work on. This is the short list, of course… only the
things I’m willing to share. The others
are on a list in my closet. In a
safe. Buried in a hole I dug with a
flip-flop.
Okay, they’re just in my head,
but locked up just as tightly.
1.
Family Foot Health –
When Honey and I got married, I had just graduated from beauty school and I kept
our toenails in pristine condition. Even
when the boys were young, I regularly filed their nails and pushed back their
cuticles. Now, we just buy new shoes
when our toenails get too long. (See #5)
I really need to dedicate some time to our feet again.
2.
Thinking Ahead – I have
a bad habit of climbing into the bathtub, then remembering that I need soap,
shampoo, conditioner, and a razor, so I holler for Honey to pleeeeease come get
them. He hates that. Then when he leaves, I remember that I need a
towel and holler again. It’s only my sweet,
innocent smile that makes him forgive me.
I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I’m in my birthday
suit.
3.
Planning Meals - I rarely
know what we’re going to have for dinner until about 4:00 pm. That gives me just enough time to quick-thaw some
meat in a bowl of hot water, finish everything else I have to do, check
Facebook before Honey gets home, and have dinner on the table between 8 &
8:30. (Or warm up leftover leftovers, or
make nachos…with leftovers.) That’s still too late if you want to watch Hulu
after the kids are in bed and be able to get up at 5 am to work out. SO, we don’t get up to work out, all because
of poor meal planning.
4.
Working Out – (See
#3) Getting up at 5 am really stinks
until you do it for a couple weeks and realize how good you feel when you work
out every morning. But, if I take a break,
even for just a week, starting over is SO hard.
I’m still trying to get started again after a week-long break for
camping... in June.
5.
Thrift Shopping – It doesn’t
matter how many reasons I have NOT to go in… the lure of finding a treasure
gets me every time. This year, I found a
grain mill for $5 (so I can have one for wheat and one for GF grains and beans),
a three-room intercom system for $9 (I hit the call button to sound an annoying
alarm that wakes everyone up in the morning without having to go up the stairs
(See #4)), a Cuisinart ice cream maker (like new) for $7 (because with TWO you can
make TWO quarts of ice cream at a time instead of just one), and so many other things that I never
expected. Of course I didn’t need most of those things, or at least
didn’t know I needed them, but there
is always something I do need that
gives me a reason to go in and hunt for the real
treasures. It’s just so exciting! The thing is, Jake and I usually come out
with an armful of books, when what we really need are more bookshelves, more
space in which to PUT bookshelves, and more time to READ all our books. I haven’t found all three of those together
yet… but I’ll keep looking.
I’m going to stop there. If we hurry, we might have time to run into
Goodwill before chorus. Just kidding, I’m
going to go work out. REALLY just
kidding! I’m going to file my nails
because I already know we’re eating out for dinner. I planned ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment