Thursday, February 12, 2009

And the award goes to... Christy!!! for Mommy Dearest!

Well, I wasn’t QUITE Mommy Dearest, but it was a pretty terrible day here. Maybe I was more like Carrie, because I think I may have thrown some fireballs. Or perhaps there was a scene from the Exorcist, because it seems my head MAY have spun around a couple times. To whichever horror film you might liken it, it was not a pretty day! I think I’m having a wee little bit of a hormone spike this week, but we’ll make it. I’ve been diffusing Peace and Calming oil through the house all afternoon in an effort to cool the glowing embers. I can’t take ALL the credit, though. The boys DID argue with everything I told them, they wouldn’t stay on task, they bickered and fought, and they littered the house with toys. Let me tell you, when I’m having an ‘off’ day, clutter and mess increase my frustration exponentially. I start to feel like everything is closing in on me and I just want to go around the house with a trash bag and get rid of everything! Well, either that or a torch, which I’m glad we don’t have lying around anywhere.
But, hey, we all have ‘off’ days, right? Anyhoo, enough about the crazy lady…

Craig is still at work as I type, at 9:15 pm. We had a pretty good storm on Tuesday night, with lightning, hail, and very high winds, and though it was short, it was strong. His asphalt plant was hit by lightning, so he spent all of yesterday, getting home at 11 pm, and today trying to get it back online. I’m not sure if they’ll have it back up tomorrow, or not, but I know it’s costing a fortune to replace all the parts that were damaged. I, in all my engineering wisdom, and with all my experience in HIS field, suggested they put up a lightning rod. The last time the plant was down, with no power, I inquired as to whether or not they had checked to see if the plant was plugged in. My advice wasn’t so well received, and I’m pretty sure I won’t be collecting any consulting fees, but, hey, you never know! I just hope he gets home pretty soon because I know he’s tired and worn out. That 30 minute drive he makes twice a day isn’t so bad until he’s exhausted, and that’s the part that really keeps me up until he’s home. I can’t stand the thought of his driving home, getting sleepy, and having an accident, and here I am asleep in bed! That would be awful.

The boys and I did manage to go outside together and search for clues in the ‘woods’. We’re studying habitats in Science, and we were trying to find out just what is going on in our little woods – what kind of animals and insects are there, how old the trees are and what kinds, etc. We didn’t discover a whole lot, except that all the trees are very thirsty, and small critters have been digging under our perimeter fence. That’s comforting. I think possums and raccoons can actually smell cat food anywhere within a 5-mile area, and now we know how they’re getting in! Or maybe it’s the coyotes… we did lose a cat the last time we went out of town for a few days. She may have taken on more than she could handle in trying to defend the auto-feeder we set up when we’re gone. Every time we’ve used it, the coons, we guess, have managed to get into it and eat all the food. This time, though, Craig wired it VERY securely to the deck rail and made sure they couldn’t get the top off. I’d like to think that Bandit gave her life defending the rations for the week, but who knows. Smokey is smart enough to stay hidden, so she’s still here!

Nothing particularly exciting is going on here lately. Like I said, it did rain and hail on Tuesday, but it didn’t last very long. I think the mud was dry by mid-day on Wednesday, so we’re still super dry. I sure hope we have a wet, wet spring to bring everything back to life. We are planning on putting in a garden again, but it will take so much watering, I’m not sure it’s worth it. Our water is already full of sulfates because it’s so low, so even with our brand new conditioning equipment, it still smells like sulfur. Even the RO water smells bad after about a month on a new filter, which should really last 3 months. Sad, sad, sad. But, I’d rather have stinky water than NO water!!

I think I’ll go sit by the diffuser and inhale more Peace and Calming before Craig gets home. Actually, it’s sitting right by the sewing machine, where I’m about to start working on some lingering projects. (Looks confusing if you’re reading fast, but that was lingering projects, not lingerie projects - big difference.) I have already found tonight, however, that you shouldn’t sew when your temper is short. Ripping out mistakes does NOT contribute anything peaceful and calming to an already inflamed mood. But, I’m going to try again. Maybe now that all the natives are bedded down, it will be a little less stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment