Friday, January 25, 2013

Uncle Ralph: Our New Gardener Friend

There is this house we pass on the way to and from home that always makes me slow down and gawk.  The first thing that lured me in was when they installed solar panels all over the top of the house, right around the time we moved in.  That's just dreamy.

A few months later, a big raised garden bed appeared in the front yard.  In the FRONT yard!  These people don't care about ornamentals, they want food.  Those are my kind of people, folks.

So, every day when I pass that house, I look at the garden to see what's growing.  They planted again in the fall, and we've watched as big green cabbages have appeared, and carrot tops have flourished.  I tell you, it's been hard to drive by without stopping just to admire the vegetation.  Especially when we saw the tangerines appear on the tree out front.  (Drool.)

However, I never see a car in the driveway, or any people when we pass.  If I had seen someone, I have always planned to stop and say hello, ask about the garden, ask if I could touch and smell it, and hope they didn't ask me to leave their property before realizing that I am, in fact, fairly sane and reasonable.

Well, today was my day!  We had just finished running too many errands, we were tired, and were all ready to get home, and as we passed and I turned my head instinctively to the garden, I saw a man.  A man working in THE garden!  I was thrilled.  I swerved over to the curb, excitedly yelling, "Someone's home!  I'm stopping!"

The kids moaned and groaned.  "Aw, mom, don't stop.  Don't stop!  Look, he's going in!"

I hopped out of the car and left them in it, with the engine running.  I ran up to him and introduced myself and told him that I just loved driving by his house and admiring the garden, and asked if he would show me what he was growing.  He shook my hand and politely agreed, and showed me his cilantro, and carrots, and greens.  Then he showed me the kumquat tree and asked if I wanted some.  He didn't want them to go to waste, and he said we were welcome to pick them anytime.  My jaw dropped and I motioned for the kids to get out.  They were almost as excited as I was.  Almost.  It wasn't long before one whispered to me that they were REALLY glad we had stopped.

He went in and got them grocery sacks to fill, and they went to work.  Then he pulled up a HUGE carrot and gave us that.  Then he let us pick lemons.  And arugula, and cilantro.

Oh, and these are all ORGANIC.  I may have cried tears of joy.

Next he took us to the back yard and showed us his bee hives, cabbage, broccoli, and herbs.  He gave me a bag full of cilantro seeds and broccoli seeds, and let us pick the tabasco pepper plant clean.  (Happy sigh.)

It was about this time I remembered the car was still running and sent Jake to turn it off.

Jake leaned over to me and said, "I think I'll call him Uncle Ralph.  He's aaaahhhhwwwwsome!"

Just before we left, he cut a whole row of collard greens for us to take.  I was grinning from ear to ear.

I tried to offer everything I could think of that I had at home... kombucha, kefir, my boys to use as garden laborers whenever he needed them.

We exchanged numbers and I asked him to call me if he needed any help, and when he collects honey, so we can come watch and help.  He said he'd call me when the broccoli was ready, too.  Yay!

Here's our day's bounty.


You know, I have found that when you first approach someone and start asking questions about what they're doing, they are a little wary and cautious.  But when they realize that you really are curious and completely ignorant on the subject, they are more than willing to teach and share.  We've tested this many times, because we are ALWAYS asking questions.  Wherever we go, we ask, "why do you do that?" or "what's that for?"

One day we were at a restaurant having lunch on the patio, and saw the meat truck deliver a whole pig.  Whole.  We couldn't leave until I knew what they were going to do with that pig. Strangely, none of the employees knew, either.  Hmmmm.

At PF Chang's, we got a tour of the kitchen.  When I bought some locally roasted coffee, we asked for a tour of the sorting and roasting room.

People are usually very happy to talk about what they do and why, and we are always eager to learn.

Well, Honey is usually just embarrassed, but he's getting better.  He's getting used to it after 15 years with me.

Elderly people are especially eager to share with you.  They are usually more wary at first, which is good, but they have so much wisdom to share, and nobody asking for it.  The next time you drive by an elderly person working in their yard, and you have a minute, stop and ask them to tell you about what they're doing.  Not in a creepy sort of way, but with genuine curiosity.  They'll probably be thankful for the opportunity to talk.

They may be cranky and throw dirt at you, though, so just be prepared to run until you have time to assess their reaction.

And the next time you're curious about something, anything, ask!  You might end up with a week's worth of vegetables and a new friend.


2 comments:

  1. Great story!! Just think what you and your boys learned in that short time. Wish schools could be more like this. Children need some basics of life.

    ReplyDelete