Monday, December 12, 2011

Lazy is as Lazy Does

I feel like such a camper potato today! That’s a new feeling for me. Sure, as a homeschooler, I may go the whole day without changing out of my pajamas, or putting on makeup, but I’m usually still doing something productive. The last few days, I’m finally getting some of the calm rest I had fantasized about in the camper. Actually, two of those days were at my sister’s house, but it counts. Today, I’ve checked some emails, caught up on Facebook, balanced the checkbook, read some online news, and done some Amazon shopping. See, there, I HAVE done some productive things. There’s nothing lazy about balancing the checkbook, let me tell you!

Speaking of Amazon, I can’t say enough how much I love that site. It makes my life so much easier. Not only do I use it to buy gifts all year, I can buy things I don’t want to hunt down, like RV light bulbs and in-line water filters, things I need fast and don’t have time to go get, like an automatic cat feeder before leaving on vacation, and things I can’t get in the store, like a case of organic coconut milk. I also buy things on there just so I don’t have to go to the store at all… the less I go IN, the less I SPEND!

I’m a ‘prime member,’ which means they charge me $80 a year for two-day shipping on most everything I order. THAT saves me a fortune, and gets my stuff here fast!

So, there’s my big plug for Amazon. I should get paid for that.

The boys are in the other room (yes, there are TWO rooms in the camper – three if you count the lavatory) playing on the… I mean… learning about daily life activities, social structure, and warfare in the middle ages by participating in role-playing activities on the computer. Yes, that’s history class, folks, the way they learn best, and remember the most… by playing. There are many ways to learn, thank goodness.

Jake and Levi had their chorus concerts recently, and we were very proud of them. It’s so nice for them to be able to perform in front of a crowd. Homeschoolers have to search out opportunities to do that, and we are so thankful for chorus. It’s been a real blessing because they are learning music, performance, group participation, how to behave for other teachers, and making friends. Those are all things we needed. It’s also fun being one of the moms in the group, because I get to spend time with other moms while our kids are busy. That’s a good feeling, lol.

I would include the boys’ chorus photos, but my printer/scanner isn’t working. I’ll have a new cord from Amazon in 2 days, though, and I don’t have to go anywhere to get it!

House plans are coming along. We now need one to two weeks after we take possession of the house to paint, scrape the popcorn ceilings, pull up carpet, and stain concrete floors. The list of things we want to do BEFORE we move in has grown a bit, but we know they’ll get done that way. If we move in, we’ll want to slow down and rest. And it’s no fun having to move and cover furniture so you can paint and sand. No fun at all. It will be a lot of work, but it will be done and make us feel a whole lot better about moving in to OUR house, with more of OUR personality. I’m not sure Honey cares that much about personality when his feet are hanging off the end of our camper bed, but, he loves me, and is willing to humor me for a week or two. Not three, I’m certain. There are limits to a man’s love. And, believe me, we ALL want to move in.

I recently compared our irritation with close-quarter living to technological advances in the modern world… it is increasing exponentially. We went a while with little irritation, or at least a plateau of annoyance, but all of a sudden, it’s getting bad fast. That’s why the boys and I are planning to do some traveling. We’re going to plan a few visits to places that boast multiple bedrooms and stay just enough time for the hosts to be glad we’re leaving, without staying long enough that they never invite us back. For our family, that’s about three nights. Four, tops. That way, we get some good visiting time, we have space to stretch out, Honey has quiet time (it’s a lot less chaotic with ONE person in the camper), and our waiting time goes by faster. It should be good for everyone. Honey will be a little lonely when we’re gone, but he’s decided he can handle it. (I would, too, if I were him.)

Between visiting, we’ll do our usual thing here… finish math books, chorus, and try not to kill each other. Mostly the latter.

Blimey, it’s late! I’d better at least brush my hair before Honey gets home. Right after I order a couple things on Amazon…

No comments:

Post a Comment