Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thumbs Up

Today, I was thinking about all the things around me that I appreciate. Well, the things on a purely materialistic plane, anyway. I'm not talking about things I'm really thankful for, because that's just a whole other realm of appreciation. We're just talking 'like' here. You know, hit the thumbs-up button stuff. So, I have a few 'likes' for you today.

I'm not going to delve into food (much), since I don't intend to be here that long. Besides, if you're reading this, you already know how much I like food.

Just to be fair, and because I have an obsessive need to argue both sides of the issue, no matter what it is, I'm throwing in a few 'dislikes,' too. I, along with millions of others, am still waiting for the 'dislike' button to appear. You know what I mean. We all want to use it.

I'm fairly certain you will come away from this post with a deeper understanding and acknowledgement of my nerdiness, but I'm okay with that. Really.

'Like' #1 - A completed day

This is our school schedule.



Notice that everything on Tuesday is checked. Woo-hoo! Well, almost everything. Close enough.

#2 - Gluten

18 days to reintroduction. Enough said.

#3 - These delicious snack bars



The Larabar is all raw, gluten free, dairy free, etc, etc, and it tastes good! Most of the flavors, and there are many, are made from dates, nuts, and maybe one or two other things, but they are wonderful. The cherry pie bar REALLY tastes like cherry pie, and the main ingredient is unsweetened cherries. Other favorites here are Pecan Pie and Chocolate Chip.

The Clif Kids ZBars are mostly oatmeal, but they don't taste like oats at all. The Chocolate Brownie is delicious, and they taste like desserts, not protein bars. They make great snacks for the kids, especially when we're out and about, and the ZBar's smaller size makes them more cost effective.

Amazon and Vitacost have both, and I was happy to learn that our local grocery carries them both, as well, at a little higher cost.

#4 - Cloth napkins



I started using these after visiting a friend who used small tea towels for napkins, and after deliberating about whether or not it would be a hassle to wash them all the time, gave it a try. I bought a few sets of inexpensive cloth napkins on ebay, most in horrible prints, to see if we'd actually like the change before I spent any real money on them. It worked out great, and I soon invested in bar towels, which I cut in half , and dishrags. Spending several dollars a piece for nice cloth napkins seemed ridiculous to me with all these young savages, and we just needed small ones, so it worked beautifully. For an investment of around $25, I have a tub of about 40 napkins. We use the bar towel ones the most, so they are stained, but it's not like we have company much, so we don't care. I keep some new back-ups in case we do.

I just throw the dirty napkins into a pile by the washer, and toss them in with the next load of laundry. Not having to buy paper napkins has more than covered my $25, the cloth are much more absorbent and soft, and we're not creating unnecessary waste. I'm saving my waste credits for all the paper plates we use, anyway. Cough. Moving on.

#5 - My new tennies

After totally wearing out the REALLY expensive shoes I had to buy when I was suffering from plantar fasciitis, I had to go shopping for some new ones. Since I need the extra support and quality, I can't go buy cute, athletic-looking shoes from the sporting goods store. (Notice, I said athletic-LOOKING... for people who want to APPEAR athletic.) No, I have to spend muchos pesos on granny shoes. However, the offerings now are SO much better than they were 2 or 3 years ago, when I bought my last pair, and in a much lower price bracket.



These are made by Tenevis, a new brand for me, and they have been great so far. They provide good support, but are soft and springy. Notice, the top pair has a removable heel wedge that you can swap out for either a firm or a soft support.

I got two pairs because they don't make tan. Yes, buying navy and black almost makes up for the lack of tan. Thankfully, Honey understood that. Or, he was just really tired of watching me switch back and forth between the two colors and walk around the store for an hour, as if trying them on was going to make them match my wardrobe better than tan. Okay, so it doesn't sound so logical in print, but women will understand. I got both, anyway... and a new pair of Fit Flops, which I also love.

Honey asked if I got a free skateboard with these, so that makes me feel a little less like I'm wearing old-lady corrective shoes, even if they do have a huge white sole. I can do skater shoes better than orthopedics. I do have a minimum level of coolness I try to maintain at my young age.

'Dislike' #1 - Lactic Acid

So, I started back on my 8-minute workout videos this week. Don't laugh. It's an intense 8 minutes! Besides, I usually do 2 a day, and 16 minutes is plenty. It's right on the threshold of where I would begin to sweat, and, well, I just don't do sweat by choice.

I really tried to take it easy, knowing I would be sore if I jumped in too quickly. I didn't even use weights... Levi did. Yet, here I am, barely able to pick something up off the floor, or lower myself into a chair, because of the intense pain in my hamstrings and glutes. What gives?! Levi's not sore!

I'm sticking with it, though, so the next time you see me, ask if I worked out today. I need the accountability. Hopefully, the soreness will wear off soon... so I can catch up to my 9-year old.

#2 - My sad, dirty spice rack



Yes, it's still in alphabetical order, but the labels are peeling, some of the lids don't match... ugh! It's time to rejuvenate the rack! It's hard to cook with that kind of chaos.

#3 - Navy blue carpet

Refer back to the tennis shoe photo. Trust me... don't EVER let someone tell you navy blue carpet is a good idea. I would like to talk to the person who picked this stuff out and installed it in the house I would eventually buy. Surely they didn't have kids. Or walk outside in the light-colored dirt that surrounds our home. But, hey, at least it's not white.

Carpet, in general, is disgusting to me, anyway. It's nothing but a dirt, allergen, mold, dander, and bug trap, yet, no matter how much of it we tear out, it always seems to be waiting for me in the next house. Ick. I'd better move on, or I won't be able to sleep tonight. Next house... wood or tile!

#4 - How I'm going to feel in the morning, after staying up late to blog

Well, this is the only time I could find today... this week... this month! I may have to sleep a little later tomorrow and cut my workout from 16 minutes down to 8. Just this once.

I had more to share, but it will have to wait for another day. I'm beginning to bore even myself, so I'll spare you. For now. Yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment