Well, hello from West Texas! We're out in windy Odessa, visiting our grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins on this side of the country (Texas, that is) and having a good time. We only get out here about once a year, or twice if someone is achieving octogenarian status, so it's nice to have a few days to spend with family we don't often get to annoy. The boys are having a good time, but tend to get a little restless out of their own environment, where they are pretty free to roam and explore. It happens everywhere we visit, and it seems there is no better place for a little boy to showcase his sense of humor (as he sees it), bad manners, or hyperactivity, than with rarely seen spectators that they must think are sure to appreciate it. Grandparents, especially, seem to be good targets for their bad jokes, potty humor, and displays of manly dominance over their brothers. I know they act like that at home, too, but maybe it's just easier to ignore them there.
Today, we made a trip to Burgers, Fries & Cherry Pies for some gourmet burgers (sans the cherry pies), then my grandmother took us to purchase some kites at the toy store. We didn't fly them today, but plan to take advantage of the wind and wide open spaces tomorrow. She even had the wisdom to insist they get two each, in case we lose some in our attempts to fly them. I look like a complete idiot when trying to get a kite in the air, mostly because I don't know how to do it, and have to do it 8 or more times, so we should provide some entertainment for the locals, and will no doubt either lose or break a few. We also got to go bowling today, and the little sister and I both left happy, having beat each other one game a piece. I still think we need to armwrestle to break the tie, but she'll probably beat me. Luke even outscored us one game with 98 points. How sad is that? Maybe we should use the bumpers!
Tonight, we had our annual UNbirthday party, where we get to celebrate all the boys' birthdays with this branch of the family, since they never get to be with us on their real birthdays. The boys think it's great, and we always have cake and all the family together. Luke was extra excited tonight because he now has enough money to buy the Nintendo DS for which he's been saving. That means EACH of them will have their own DS to play, maybe,oh, once or twice a month. Suits me just fine! Those things are invaluable on car trips or when I'm shopping at a thrift store, where I must have ample time to go through every rack, then try on my finds. Trips like that can be terribly boring for the boys, so it's nice when I can pack a diversion and know that they'll be in the same spot I left them when I'm all done. They don't get to play them at home, except on rare occasions, like when I really need a nap, so it remains a treat for those special times.
Speaking of the thrift store, they are all off-limits to me for a while. They seem to be 'financial peace' thieves, as I go in and shop for clothes that cost $3 each, and end up spending $50. I usually go in with something specific in mind, and walk out with everything else. That's why I don't go to 'mega-marts' anymore, unless it's absolutely necessary! I need to learn, as well, to leave my wallet in the car, and only take in enough cash to get what's on my list. We need to think like gazelles, as Dave Ramsey says, and I'm doing that by dodging my predators... the stores themselves! So, for my loving friends that are so good to tell me when my favorite stores are having sales, as much as I would LOVE to go, please... just don't. Craig would really appreciate it!
This weekend marks the start of the 'busy season' in our life, and in our circle of friends. It starts in March and runs through December. Our two-month break, where we have a few Saturdays free, is officially over. As of this week, I believe we are booked every weekend through June, and that's not counting baseball games that start in April and run until the end of May. How crazy is that? We have a nice array of activities, though, including baby showers, birthdays, adoption party, reunion, get-togethers, and camp meetings, so it will definitely be fun. Tiring, but fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment